The father of Henri Matisse, the great French painter,
wanted him to become a lawyer and was disappointed when he took up art. Parenting
changes your reactions to this story: young people sympathize instinctively with
the young Matisse, but then one day you wake up to realize that now your
sympathies all lie with Matisse senior.
Suddenly you find that your young people are on the verge of setting out
into the world, and all you want is for them to be safe and happy and
successful. But there’s not much you can
do: no matter how good your advice and support, you will probably have to watch
while they solemnly set off in what you are quite sure is the wrong
direction. Julie's brother is at this stage, and we have dutifully made all the mistakes that loving parents have made down the ages.
But it’s better to see them set off in the wrong direction than
not set off at all, which might be one interpretation of what is happening to
Julie at the moment. She is in a
peculiar limbo: she left school long ago, but isn’t well enough to carry on
studying, or to work. She’s living with
us, drawing state benefits, receiving specialist therapy, and watching a lot of
television. It feels as if she is slowly
being sucked into a life of idle dependency on welfare. She is not setting off deliberately in any
direction at all; she is drifting out to sea.
The specialist BPD therapy, awaited eagerly for so long, has
been something of a disappointment. Budget
cuts and budget cuts have reduced what was once a flagship service to a six-month
package of “psycho-education”: one class a week, first concentrating on DBT, then mindfulness, then
mentalization. The focus is on learning
skills, not on therapy. The result is
poor – a lot of dry theory, but no opportunity to practice it, and critically,
no one checking that the skills have been learnt, or providing feedback. Staff work hard to teach the skills, but
they are not trained teachers, there are no publicly available materials to learn from, and their hand-outs
and notes are sketchy. Julie has a care
coordinator, but does not see her, so has been unable to form any sort of
relationship with her. Even the
psychiatrist running the service privately describes the psycho-education package
as “a sticking plaster” on a raw wound.
Personality disorders are, after all, major, life-long and life
threatening. Are they really going to be
resolved with a short course of self-help material, delivered so impersonally? At the end of the six months, ready or not, Julie will be discharged back to the care of her GP - and her family.
Julie is deeply disappointed, but I am determined we make
the best of it. I work through the
materials with her each week and try to find ways of making the concepts come
alive. They are very abstract, and it’s
difficult, but I’m not worried about explaining the material. What worries me is that I can’t be her
therapist. I can help her practice these
skills but they remain dry exercises; I don’t have the insight to help her
break away from old habits and make them part of herself. Mentalization, in particular, requires a very
experienced therapist. We do our best,
talking through situations and conversations from the week, but there is a huge
gap. I ask the service to recommend a
private therapist, but they refuse: even though they admit their own service is
diminished, they will not cooperate with private practice.
I
am, however, determined not to give up.
It may take longer than Julie expected, but I am sure one day we will get through this patch and she will
set off into life. Not necessarily in
the right direction, of course, but that is her business.

Thank you so much for an update. The way all the specialist support services have been decimated recently is shocking and a disgrace. Julie is lucky to have you.
ReplyDeleteJ xxx
It is frustrating. There was a time when I would have got depressed and angry about it - but there have been so many setbacks like this that I know now that it's best not to focus too much on the anger, and just get on with what we've got. What we've got right now is "psycho-education", which is better than being sent home. To be honest, I think these things take time to work anyway.
DeleteYes, I am sure you're right there. There's no easy answer, no quick fix. Oh, if only there was!
DeleteJ x
Thank you for the update, but sad that the news is not better. In fact it sounds as though life is not much fun for any of you right now xx
ReplyDeleteLovely to hear from you - thanks for leaving a comment. Things are maybe not so bad here really - Julie is a lot more independent than she was, so it's not quite as heavy on the family as it was. We're more disappointed than desperate these days!
DeleteJust checked your blog to find you're about to leave us. So sorry to see your blog finish! But completely understand your reasons. I will follow your new blog.
Delete